Friday, September 24, 2010

Cooler weather

Cooler weather is slowly creeping in upon us here in the midwest. Though the leaves on the trees have not begun to turn their glorious oranges, reds, and yellows, the temperature has been hovering right around 60 degrees just before seven a.m. This week we acknowledged the fall equinox and a harvest moon. Lastly, when I leave in the morning for school, it is still gray and much darker than when I began leaving for school near the beginning of the semester.
Due to these changes I've begun wearing my reflective vest and reflective ankle bracelet. I also turn on my flashing rear red light and flashing front white light.
This makes for some pretty pleasant riding. I am usually prepared to receive a "hard time" from my students and faculty based upon my appearance when I arrive at school. But, I justify my ridiculous outfit by reminding them, and myself, that I'm trying to stay alive by being seen; I'm not trying to be fashionable. I've long ago surrendered some of my pride when I made the decision to ride my bike as much as possible.
I hope you decide to make being seen and safe the "cool" thing to do. I've been taught by my dad to know who you are and know you're cool no matter what others think. Part of being cool is not caring about others' opinions. I keep this in mind and practice it. Sometimes I'll admit it's difficult. But, I remind myself I'm setting a good example for my students; I'm being a role model. You should do the same.
Keep on commuting by bike.
-MWBC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your positive, relevant comments and questions. Also, I welcome the opportunity to form a network of like minded individuals by sharing information, links, etc.