Friday, September 20, 2013

Slippery when wet

Sorry to disappoint you, but this will not be a recap of a bicycle crash upon wet pavement. The title is a cliche' attempt at catching readers' attention. The much less exciting account of a bike ride, unrelated to anything in the title excepting the "wet" portion is as follows.

So, last year at some point during the rainy season and my commute back and forth to school in said rainy season, I wore out the pants half of my two piece rain suit. The upper half, the jacket, remained in tact while the pants developed a distressing, huge, tear right in the crotch to the point that, when worn, more closely resembled chaps than pants.

At the conclusion of the school year, when my commuting came to a decidedly abrupt hiatus, I determined to rid myself of the offending water repellent clothing article, and did just that via placing them without ceremony into the waste receptacle in our garage. Fast forward through the summer and the opening weeks of school.

Last night I left the school at 7:30 and it was dark and pretty well pouring down rain in big wet drops. It was when I sought to extricate my rain suit from my back pack and only found the jacket portion of the suit available to me that I remembered my earlier actions. That was the moment I also remembered that I had not replaced the damaged pants with new, or otherwise intact, rain pants.

The short story is I rode through the dark and rain to get home, on my bike of course, and arrived at home with my top half dry and snug and with my bottom half soaking, drenching, wet. I was fortunate in that the temperature was not cold, otherwise I would have been miserable. As it was, the temperature was right at 70 degrees and the ride was not unpleasant.

This weekend, I must replace my rain gear before the reverse happens to me and I must arrive to the high school with a soak, drenched, wet bottom half. That would be much less convenient than arriving at home sweet home in similar fashion.

So, that's on my to do list.

What rain gear have you found to be most convenient and effective from a work commuting perspective? Please leave a comment if so led.

As usual, be safe out there and keep on commuting by bike!
-MWBC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your positive, relevant comments and questions. Also, I welcome the opportunity to form a network of like minded individuals by sharing information, links, etc.